Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I might be a cover hog..... AND Creamed Spinach {Recipe}


Confession:  I hate making the bed.  So every morning after I stretch my toes out from under the covers to see how chilly it is before I fully commit to getting up, I lay as flat as I can on my side of the bed and straighten the covers up.  This morning I realized I might be a cover hog.

 
 
Whoops!  I have another confession to make.  Granted I was asleep, but still semi-aware.  Last night I was off in dream land, and I felt the Mr. tug at the covers.  They may or may not have gotten tucked up underneath me.  I remember thinking, I could just roll over and let him have the covers that are caught under me.....NAH!!!  This morning I confessed, maybe with a little giggle behind it.  The MR. told me that he was cold, but He felt bad pulling too hard because he figured it if I was that wrapped up then I must have been cold, so He just went back to sleep so He didn't disturb me.  Then He said, "No more MR. Nice guy!"
 
Now onto things that don't make me look like a complete JERK!
 
 
 
The Mr. asked me yesterday during lunch if I knew how to make  creamed spinach.  I said that I didn't, but I could probably figure it out.  So I started looking up a few recipes, and determined it really wasn't that hard, and I had all the ingredients on hand!  It needs a few little tweaks to get it perfect, but over all it was a success!
 
You'll Need!
 
 
1 bag of spinach
1 small onion
Garlic
1/4 C. Flour
1/4 C. Butter for sauce
1/4 C. Butter for Spinach
1 cup (or more) Milk/half&half/heavy whipping cream
Mozzerella Cheese (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste.
 
Begin by melting 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick) in a man on Medium, depending on how hot your stove gets!  While it's melting, or beforehand, either way, dice a small onion.  When better has melted, add in the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.  Add in Flour mixture.  I usually mix it in with a fork.  This is going to make a thick paste.  Continue to cook for about 2 minutes while continuously stirring, or moving the paste around the pan.  You DO NOT want this to burn! 
 
 
Next, you are going to add in your milk.  You want to do this very slowly at first.  I get all the flour paste along one side of my pan, and then tip the pan towards that direction so that when I pour the milk in it will pool together on one side instead of spreading across the whole pan.  As you pour the milk in little by little mix the milk into the flour paste as you go.  This will help it to not get lumpy!  As your mixture goes from paste to liquid, you can add your milk in quicker!  I used 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream.  SUPER naughty, but oh so delicious!  Add in a little salt and pepper.  Turn your heat down on low, and you are going to want to keep on stirring your sauce while it thickens.  If you want to throw in a handful of mozzarella cheese, now is the time to do that! 
 
In Another pan, melt 1/4 cup butter on medium low heat, toss in some garlic and let sauté for a minute or 2.  Add a bag of baby spinach to your pan and cover it with a lid.  The spinach is going to cook down A LOT!  Once the spinach has wilted stir it in with your cream sauce.  If the sauce is too thick don't be afraid to add more milk to it.  It's not going to hurt anything!  If you feel like there is too much sauce to spinach, then add the sauce to the spinach instead of adding the spinach to the sauce so you can gauge how much sauce you want!  Add Salt & Pepper to taste.
 
Pour the Spinach mixture into a oven proof serving bowl and broil it on low in the oven until the top gets browned and bubbly.  I put mine on a cookie sheet to prevent spills!  Make sure you keep an eye on it, because it can go from almost done to burnt in a hurry!
 
 
The Mr. told me that next time I make this it could use a little more salt and a little less thick!  I decided that it would also be good with some sautéed mushroom in it.  I also decided it would be good if I made it a little thinner and pour it over some chicken breasts!  Yum!  I feel a new recipe in the making!  Maybe I'll make up something new with the left overs tonight instead of having taco salad!  :)  


 photo Signature_zps2937fcf1.png


1 comment:

  1. That cream of spinach looks good! I have never tried making it before, and I might have to now! Thanks for sharing. (I am stalking your blog via Heather!)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below!