Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Homemade Egg McMuffins {Recipe}

 
I hate getting up in the mornings.  I am NOT a morning person. At all.  But, to make sure that the Mr. gets a healthy breakfast in, and get myself ready, I've starting putting together "freezer breakfasts".  It's genius really.  It takes some work on the forefront, but it's so worth it in the end!  This way, the MR. gets something that will fill him up, and it moderately healthy, there is no mess to clean up, and we save our money by not having to make a pit stop at McDonald's on the way in.  Because when you have these babies in the freezer to eat, you'll never want to make that pit stop again!  
 


I went all Betty Crocker on Sunday and made my own English Muffins.  It's not a requirement, but they are really good.  Like really, really good.  And the last time I bough English Muffins, they sat in my cupboard for 3 weeks and didn't mold.  I have a problem with that!

For the recipe to make your own English Muffins go Here.  Just a few thoughts.  Don't use 1 T of salt.  It's way too much.  I only used 2 tsp, and the Mr. said they could have used less.  Also, divided this into 16, not 8.  If you do 8 they are HUGE, like the size of a bagel huge. 

But seriously, I promise I won't judge you if you just go and buy English Muffins.

Decide how many Egg McMuffins you want to freeze.  I made 8.  If you have 7 oz ramekins 7 oz glass ramekins at home you'll want to use them--if not you can use a muffin tin, but the eggs will be on the small side.  Or you can use an extra large muffin tin, or eventually, if I continue making these, I want to get a Muffin top pan



Spray your pan down with Pam (Did you say PANNNN or PAMMMM),
and then crack the eggs into the muffin tin/ramekin. 

 
 
I stuck each yolk with a fork so there was more yolky yumminess across the egg.  Make sure to sprinkle a little salt on each egg.  Eggs are SO much better with some salt!  If you don't already salt them, just try it and see!  I also add some pepper, and a little Tony Chachere's to mine!
 


 Bake in the oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs are set.  You don't really want a runny egg yolk for an Egg McMuffin.  But keep an eye on them, because depending on how thick they are depends on how quickly they will bake!  When they are done, take them out and let them cool, then pop them out of the pan with a fork or spatula.


 
 
While those are baking away, you can start cooking your sausage/Canadian bacon/bacon, or if you are an egg eating vegetarian, then just leave it will the egg.  Whatever makes you happy.  I used sausage this time around because I couldn't find the Canadian bacon and I was in a hurry!
 
 
 
After they were cooked, I ended up cutting them in half (like a hamburger) to make them thinner, and to fit all the way across the English Muffin.
 
After everything has cooled, then put your Breakfast Sammie together!
 
I put sausage on the bottom, them a slice of American cheese.  I folded the corners in so that there wasn't any hanging over to break off when I wrapped them!  Then I put the egg and the Muffin top!  Wrap them in aluminum foil or parchment paper.  Or if you're like me and are out of both, I put them in some sandwich baggies, and then put the baggies in a gallon freezer bag!
 
Ta-da!  You have homemade Egg McMuffins that will make you question why you ever went to McDonald's to begin with!  


 photo Signature_zps2937fcf1.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below!