Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Beef & Broccoli {Recipe}

I know I've posted a Beef and Broccoli Recipe before, but this one tops the charts!  And the best part?  It's Gluten Free/Paleo!  We aren't strictly Gluten Free/Paleo.  I need to be (otherwise my scalp starts going all crazy, and my ears get all itchy, and I feel like poo), but sometimes I'm not (and pay for it).  The MR.  He just eats what I feed him.



 
Ingredients:
 
1 lb meat (boneless round steak, deer meat, chicken, whatever floats your boat.  I used deer meet)
4 cups broccoli florets (I usually buy by broccoli from Aldi, but Kroger had theirs on sale, so  I tried them out....more stems than florets, so I'll be switching back to Aldi!)
1 onion sliced
1 red bell pepper
1 clove garlic
1 tsp ginger
1/2 c. water
1/2 T Coconut Aminos (Here's the catch, if you're not going for gluten free, use Soy Sauce!)
2 T Coconut Oil
Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
 
Of course, this recipe gets served over ..... BRUSSELS SPROUTS!  Before last night you couldn't have convinced me to try those mini cabbage looking things, but......they are pretty good!
 
1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts (I may or may not have use just a bag of frozen ones!)
2 cloves of garlic
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Paleo Cooking oil (Coconut Oil, Ghee, or just use some butter, ya know, whatever!)
 
I think one of the best parts of this dinner, is that it a 1 pan dinner! 
 
In your cast iron skillet...(If you don't have one, go get one and stop using those Teflon Non stick pans!) ... warm your Paleo cooking oil, add the minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Make sure to not get your skillet too hot, or everything will start to burn, medium usually does the trick for me, sometimes medium high!    When the garlic has browned toss in the Brussels Sprouts.  (If your like me and used frozen ones, make sure to thaw them first!).  Season to taste with salt, and pepper, and cook until they are soft, (approx.. 15 minutes.) Remove the sprouts from skillet and set aside.
 
 
 
Melt the coconut oil in your skillet and cook your meat.  I always season my meat a little bit when I'm cooking it as well!  When the meat is cooked to your liking, remove the meat from the skillet and set aside!
 
In the same skillet, cook onions, broccoli, red bell peppers, and if I had thought ahead, I would have thrown in some mushrooms, and sauté until broccoli is soft.  While this is cooking, mix together water, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), ground ginger, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.  (side note:  If you're not going for strict paleo, and don't have a problem with corn....put 3-4 T cornstarch in a bowl, then add the water, and whisk together until smooth, then add everything else.  This will create a thickening agent for your stir fry so the "sauce" isn't so watery!) 
 
When Broccoli is done, add the meat back in and pour the liquid mixture over the stir fry, cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes.
 
Serve the stir fry over the Brussels sprouts and Enjoy!
 
This recipe is pretty easy to play around with.  If you know me at all, you know that I rarely follow a recipe as is, and I'm always tweaking it a little bit here and a little  bit there, and very rarely do I measure while cooking.  But always remember when tweaking.  You can always add more...but you can't fix too much!

 

 photo Signature_zps2937fcf1.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below!