Friday, July 12, 2013

I'm in! {Lemon Icebox pie}

 
 
It's Official people.  I'm in.  The infamous top secret Lemon Icebox pie recipe has been passed down to the 3rd generation.  There is no turning back now.  I have passed Norton Initiation.  Now just to get my hands on the Chocolate Pie Recipe...
 
I don't know how your family rolls, but my family (The J side) has some Top  Secret Recipes.  They are not to be shared, for any reason, under any circumstance.  I may have shared the cheesecake recipe with a bestie, and I'm pretty sure I got put on recipe probation.  Seriously. 
 
I used some serious trickery to get my hands on this lemon icebox pie recipe though.  I told the MIL it was to make a pie for my Favorite FIL for helping the MR. out so much with clearing our land....  Ok.  So that really isn't trickery since it is true.  I just wanted to feel scandalous for a minute!
 
While I can't post the recipe on here, lest I get put on the N family recipe probation.  I can post pictures ;)  And you can use google!!!
 
First you either make your own graham cracker crust, or buy one from the store... The store I went to didn't have any, so I made my own.  (forgive the lack of photos...I didn't think to take any at this point)  I will share one of my secrets with you!  The MR. complains that homemade graham cracker crusts don't stay together like store bought.  So I used my mad google skills so find some tips & tricks!
 
1. Grind your graham crackers up SUPER fine!
 
2. Measure, Measure, Measure...It's important, (this ONE time!)
 
3. Use confectionary sugar instead of granulated sugar... (who would have ever thought???)
 
Also...if your red 9" deep pie dish, the only deep pie dish that you own, goes missing.  Substitute out for a 9" spring form pan...  Why yes, I am a genius once in  while!
 
 
 First you mix a little of this and a little of that together...



 
Then you pour it in your crust...
 
 
Then you start to make your meringue...I just love a good meringue, it always looks so darn pretty!
 
Start out with Egg whites & cream of Tarter
 
 
When it gets foamy add your sugar

 
Then beat the snot out of it until still peaks form...

 
Not there yet...

 
Keep on Beating...

 
These are what we call "soft peaks"
 

 
So Keep on beating...

 
Ahhh Yes.  That's how it's suppose to look!

 
Then Pour on top of your filling...
 


 
I tried to make pretty peaks with my spoon....

 
Pop that baby in the oven...
 


 
Voila!

 
 
My Favorite FIL swears that the pie gets better as it sits.  So that's why I made it last night, it'll get to sit for a good 2 days before he gets the first piece!  We'll see how I did on Saturday evening! 
 
Does your family have any secret family recipes???



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below!