Sunday, July 14, 2013

30 days Sans Facebook {30 by 30}

Today is the 30th day of my no facebook challenge.
 
In my tab 30 by 30 or my post, you can read about the 30 things that I want to accomplish before I turn 30.  My first one to start and complete was unplugging from facebook & other social media for 30 days.  While I don't think that social media is inherently evil, I do feel like I wasted too much time mindlessly wandering through other people's lives.  My Aunt wrote a great post a few days after my post starting my Facebook Time-out titled "should I stay or should I go", that is intriguing and though provoking - Definitely worth a read. 
 
The biggest reason I purposely chose to fall of the facebook/social media grid for a month is because my MR hated it, and partly because he said that I couldn't do it.  Facebook was my "go-to" to when I was bored or just needed a mindless activity to do.  The MR. called it an addiction. 
 
The funny thing is that I didn't really even miss it.  Once in a while I missed being nosey, or feeling like I had interaction with people when I'm stuck in an office by myself all day.  But 99% of the time it didn't even cross my mind. 
 
I will confess, there was 1 day when my job required me to do a little FB stalking, but the MR. agreed, and I found the information I needed and excited out without browsing around... 
 
I think I learned over the past month is that people need to be careful what information they put on Facebook.  Once it's out there, it's public knowledge.  It has ruined marriage, gotten people fired from their jobs, and the MR. heard on the news that the IRS can use it to make sure businesses aren't writing personal vacation trips off on their company.  So you better thing twice about posting vacation picture and expensing them as a business trip! 
 
I guess it really just all comes to how you decide to spend your time.  Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest etc. aren't bad thing.  With the technology in this era we are more connected than we have ever been, for the good and the bad.  Social Media can be a great resource, I Love it.  It's a great way to stay connected with people that you normally would lose contact with.  It's a great way to bounce ideas off people that have a different perspective than you.  But in my own life I know that I need to have more of a balance between the cyber world and the real world.
 
So Tomorrow, 7/15, I am free to rejoin the FB realm of life, with moderation, and I get to complete the first thing on my Pre 30 bucket list! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below!