Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Marriage

When I was planning our wedding I really struggled with having scripture reading.
It was really important to me to have a ceremony that was centered around the gospel,
so logically you would have scripture reading.
BUT,
I didn't want someone to get up and read 1 Corinthians 13 and have it be the same boring old reading that every other person has at their wedding, that is read in a very monotone voice and nobody really pays attention to it anyway!
I wanted it to incorporate so much more of what Marriage and Love Biblically looks like!
So when I was sitting at work one day the perfect solution came to me!

My Aunt Kimmy is a phenomenal writer. (you can check her blog out here)
  She has a way with words that make them sing.
She puts words and phrases together in such a way that they move you to tears.
So I sent her a text asking her if I gave her a list of scripture verses
if she would put together a reading for me.

I had it planned so that the moment I hit the end of the aisle with my dad,
and as my saxophonist was still playing "The Wedding Song" by Kenny G,
to start my whole wedding ceremony off with this wonderful piece that my aunt put together.

Marriage

By: Kimberly Jenkins

Love is like an eternal river that flows straight from your heart, if your heart be filled with the love of Christ; the everlasting well of live.

As your pledge to one another, forever.  Forever may you pledge in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion.  To pledge faithfulness as you both seek to acknowledge and grow in the Lord. (Colossians 3:12-27)

And as this man breaks reign from his Father and Mother to take hold and grow roots deep with his young wife, the two shall become one.  They shall grow into one. Therefore, what God has ordained let no man separate.  (Mark 10:6-9)

As the woman submits to the man, she submits as unto her Lord.  She is all giving, unselfishly loving and trusting in him completely.  (Ephesians 5:22)

And as the years find her aged with silver may her children arise and call her blessed, her husband also, and he praises her. (Proverbs 31:28)

And the man shall love her unselfishly, just as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for her.  He gives it all to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing of water through the word.  To be presented to her without blemish, stain or wrinkle.  To come to her holy and blameless, and as the years find him aged with silver may he find that he has always loved her just as he has loved himself.  (Ephesians 5:25-27)

Just as a young sapling came from a seed, the years move on, it grows strong and bears much fruit if the roots are reaching deep into the rich earth.  It’s branches stretch towards the heavens.  The leaves sing praises as they dance in the wind and the tree never forgets from whence it came.  
And as a family we pledge to pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wind and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge; that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.  (Ephesians 3:17)

Your marriage is like that of the young sapling.  The years will move on and your love will grow strong and bear much fruit if you nurture it and take care of it, if you plant yourselves into the rich soil of his living, breathing word.  And as you rise up to sing praises to the Son, may you never forget from whence you came.

I am the vine; you are the branches if a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  (John 15:5)
 

  

I don't really remember much about our wedding at all,
After getting all of 2 hours of sleep,
(that was a long night of sleeplessness, I finally gave up at 4 am, got up, made myself 2-3 cups of coffee, and wrote both of my parents letters)
being completely exhausted & STARVING by 2:00,
And all the nerves and emotions that go with getting married,
 BUT, I'm pretty sure that if I did remember anything
This would one of my most favorite things about our wedding ceremony! 
It worked in perfectly 
(I remember this from the rehearsal)
with the score of The Wedding March,
and the man that sang "Long song" by Third day filled in at the last minute to read it,
and He such a dynamic speaker that it turned out better than I could have hoped!

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below!