Wednesday, October 31, 2012

He Liked it so he put a ring on it!

The Mr. and I celebrated our 1 year engagement anniversary on Monday!  Yay for us! we celebrated Friday night with a homecooked meal of  Steak, Shrimp, and Seasoned Potato slices!  Yum!  We've survived 5 months of wedding planning and 8 months of Marriage!  So in honor of our 1 year engagement anniversary, I thought I would share my engagement story!

We seriously started talking about getting married in September of 2011, just a few short months after we started dating.  We were originally going to wait until October 2012 to get married, since we had only known each other for such a short amount of time!  Jt and I were flying to my hometown, in Arkport NY, so that he could meet my parents, in the middle of October.  Somehow the rumor got started that we were flying home for Jt to ask my dad's permission to marry me...(thank you sisters!)...So, while I was talking to my mom on the phone on Sunday afternoon, I decided to set the record straight, that we DID plan on getting married, but in a year.  So no, the rumors were wrong!  Then my mom said the unexpected, "well, if you're going to get married just go on and do it.  There is no sense in dragging it out".  SO, the trip to NY ended up being for my love to not only meet my parents, but ask for my hand in marriage.  (no pressure!) 

Fast forward 2 weeks to October 29th...

It was a gorgeous Saturday, and since I already knew we were getting married, I decided to do a little wedding dress shopping with one of my girlfriends. ( At this point we had the date set, the church booked, and our invitation designed.  Oh yea, and my genious love had left the ring box on his dresser, where I conviently saw it (the box, not the ring)...good going babe!  I may have been a slight bratt about knowing that he had the ring, and his holding out on proposing...)  So I made the drive up into Memphis to try on dresses at David's Bridal...The first dress I tried on that day was "the one"...I tried on 2 more just to be sure--but I couldn't beat it!  And it was on clearance! 


I drove home, super excited about my dress, so see the Mr's truck in my driveway!  He was cutting my grass and doing some trim work for me!  It's always a pleasant surprise to see him.  We decided that since it was SO beautiful ouside, that he was going to run home, shower & change, come back and pick me up to go to Olive Branch park for a walk.  I of course am trying to convince myself that he is NOT going to propose, so I don't need to be disappointed when it doesn't happen.  

We got to Olive Branch park, walked around the trail, took this picture...


Walked through the woods, trying to find "a fort" that He played on as a kid (lies!  He was stalling).  Meanwhile, somebody is blowing his phone up.  When I asked him who was texting him, He told me that it was his mom and that she wanted us to come to her "trunk or treat" at their church (also lies!).  It started getting a little chilly, so we started heading back to the truck, when he decided that he wanted to get a picture on the pier.  I of course am disappointed at this point, because I thought I still wasn't getting my ring.  I pulled out my phone and started to pull the camera up, when he all the sudden took the phone from me, get down on one knee, and said "Will you marry me, will you be my Mrs. Norton".  We still aren't actually sure if I said yes or not.  Come to find out, the texts were coming from one of his friends that also happened to be a photographer...so she was able to catch our whole proposal, and did some engagement pictures for us after! 



 



 

We went to Carrabba's that evening to celebrate, and my parents were flying in late that evening to visit my sister and I for a few days, so we picked them up from the airport that evening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below!