Thursday, October 17, 2013

Skillet Cabbage {Recipe}

It's cool and rainy here today.  It makes me want to curl up on the couch with a blanket, a cup of coffee, and a book.  But since I have to work, gave up caffeine, and don't have a book, I suppose I'll share a recipe with you!

My MR. loves what I grew up with as "boiled cabbage dinner".  You basically cut up a head of cabbage, throw in some carrots, potatoes, and a ham hock, and let it cook for until the pork meat starts to fall of the bone.  I like everything in it, except the cabbage, which was the main part of the dish..  So Boiled Cabbage was not my favorite growing up, in fact I kind of detest it, like a lot!

Well, I found this recipe floating around facebook a while back, and I saved it using a Screen Shot....and then I forgot where I had found it and that I had saved it to my phone.  Genius, right?  Well, I was going through my pictures the other day, and I found it, so I added it to my menu!

It was SO Easy!  And it actually wasn't too terrible!  The Mr. loved it, and I tolerated it, which is saying a lot for me and cooked cabbage!

I also made Momma J's Cornbread.  It's not as sweet as Jiffy, but it's sweeter than a typical southern cornbread.  Next time I make it I'll still add less brown sugar to it.  But---I left the recipe at home, so I can't share that one with you today!  I only tried a tinsy morsel of it though because I'm trying to avoid gluten right now!  




The MR. whipped together some pinto beans.  He cooked up some maple flavored bacon, chopped up some onions, and cooked it all together.  The bite that I tried was pretty good!!  And I also suggested he sauté up some mushrooms, more so because I have massive amounts of mushrooms in my fridge than because He needed another side!  He's a GREAT help in the kitchen when I need him to be!


Ok...Enough of my rambling...




1 stick of butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
1 lb sausage, sliced into round pieces
1 can rotel
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Melt butter in skillet.  (I used a large sauce pan!) 

After butter is melted, add in onion and cabbage.  Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often so it doesn't stick to the bottom.  The butter will coat the cabbage nicely!




I chopped up the sausage while the cabbage and onions where cooking!




Add in sausage, rotel, salt & pepper.  I found that this required quite a bit of salt.  So, start off with a teaspoon or so, then as it's almost finished, test it and see if it needs more. 




Put a lid on your pan and let it cook away.  I didn't stir it much, just here and there so it cooked evenly.  It will take about 20-25 minutes to cook through.  The cabbage should be soft, but not mushy!




As far as how much it makes...It just depends on how much cabbage you use!  I used a medium sized head of cabbage and it would probably feed a family of 4 easy enough with sides added to it. 

If you're freaked out about the stick of butter...you could probably cut it down to 1/2 stick, and maybe add in 1/4 cup of chicken broth for some added flavor.  I'll probably try that the next time around.  Just make sure to watch it so it doesn't stick!  I also found some semi-healthier Turkey Sausage to use.  I don't know if it's really any healthier, but it makes me feel better!

Coming Tomorrow???  How to get the sticker residue off jars & cups , and Eggplant Lasagna! 

Happy Thursday Y'all!


 photo Signature_zps2937fcf1.png

1 comment:

  1. The boiled cabbage you describe reminds me a bit of the cabbage soup we sometimes had for lunch when we were growing up. I don't think there was any meat in it though. My siblings and I pretended we were undernourished orphans with an evil orphan keeper whenever my mom gave that to us for lunch. I'm sure she was very amused by our reaction.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below!