Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Freezer Meals for New Mom's | White Pizza {Recipe}





I think that Freezer meals are one of the best gifts that you can give a new mom.  For the first week or two there are going to be swarms of people bring them meals.  And you know that if there is out of town family there will be several weeks at the beginning when someone is staying with them to cover the cooking.  But what happens after the first month when the visitors and meals cease?  FREEZER MEALS. 

When My sister-in-law was due with my 1st Nephew, I told her that for her shower gift I would make her some freezer meals.  I didn't think twice about the fact that the food the Mom eats if she's nursing can make baby's tummy gassy.  Major Aunt Fail.

Well, she's pregnant with their 2nd, and it's time for me to start thinking freezer meals again.  But this time I'm going to be smarter about it!  Baby B had a terrible time with gas, and so I'm taking as many precautions as I can with this round of freezer meals for Baby C.

Do you know how hard it is to come up with meals that freeze well that don't include foods that could potentially cause babies gas?  IMPOSSIBLE.  Nothing tomato based.  No Beans.  No Leafy Greens.  Onions to a small minimum.  Sparse use of Garlic.  Nothing too spicy.  I didn't even get into the dairy or gluten aspect of it! 

I have come up with a list of 7 Recipes that I am going to share with you over the coming weeks.

White Pizza
White Lasagna
Chicken Fajitas (light on the Onions)
Meatloaf
Poppy Seed chicken
Baked Mac n Cheese
Chicken Potpie

White Pizza
 
Frozen Pizza's are seriously the best "quick" meal ever, but they just never quite hit the spot like a good homemade pizza does!  Well, I'm going to attempt to freeze my own pizza. 
 
I don't believe in buying a store bought pizza crust.  It's way too easy to make my own, and it tastes 10x better.  No judgments from me if you use store bought pizza dough.  Although, I have no idea which kind to recommend, or even how they work, so you'll have to figure that out on your own!
 
Pizza Dough
 
1 1/4 c Wheat flour
1 T yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2 T oil
1 C. warm water
1 1/3 c. Wheat Flour
 
1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
2.) Combine 1 1/4 C Wheat Flour, Yeast & Salt in a large bowl
3.) Add oil & warm water to the mix, and whisk together
4.) Gradually mix in 1 1/3 C. Wheat Flour.  You'll want to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty for this! 
 
 
 
5.) Knead until you get a soft ball of dough
 
 
6.) Rinse & dry & place dough in greased bowl.  Cover with a damp towel and let rise for 20-30 minutes


 
7.) This dough is a little "tougher" than a white flour dough, so I tend you use a rolling pin to roll it 
      out to fit my pan!
8.) Bake dough, on a well greased pan for 7-10 minutes.  You just want to "par bake" it, you don't  
     want to bake it all the way through!
     **note, if you are making this pizza for dinner TONIGHT, then skip step 8 and add the toppings!
9.) Pop crust out of pan and allow to cool.
 
White Sauce
 
1/4 C. Butter
1/4 C. Flour
2 C Milk (or Cream if you want a richer taste!)
Salt & Pepper to taste
 
1.) Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. 

2.)When butter is melted, stir in flour.  It will be a thick paste. 


3.) SLOWLY add milk, little by little, whisking with a fork as you go.  If you add it all at once you'll have chunks.  That's a no go. 




 4. Cook on Medium Heat, salt & Pepper to state, and constantly stir until Sauce thickens.  Remove from heat.

 
 
Chicken Bacon Pizza Toppings
 
I was trying to come up with a white pizza that didn't incorporate just tons of cheese and garlic.  I couldn't really find anything that I liked the sound of, so I just decided to throw something together.
 
1 -2 Cooked Chicken Breasts, shredded or cut up into small pieces
1 container of mushrooms, sliced 
1-2 Handfuls of spinach chopped into small pieces (I use scissors!)
4-5 Slices of bacon
mozzarella Cheese
 
1. Fry Bacon, cut up into small pieces
 
2. Sauté mushrooms and spinach, salt & pepper to taste

 
3. Put Pizza Crust back on Cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
 
4. Spread Desired amount of white sauce over crust
5. Spread desired amount of Cheese over Sauce
 
6. In a bowl, mix together Chicken, Mushrooms, Spinach & bacon Together.
7. Top pizza with Mixture.
 
8. Put Pizza in the freezer to flash freeze.
9. When The Pizza has begun to harden, remove from freezer.
10. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
 
11. Wrap with aluminum Foil.
 
12. Freeze
13. Make sure to write out instruction for how to bake!

 
 
To Bake:
 
Place Pizza on a cookie sheet, and bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until heated through. 
 

What freezer meals have you found that work well for new moms that are nursing?




1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below!